Nov 25, 2014

Ponies Through The Ages: Day 25

Well guys, much like Day 15, this one is going to be late. Sorry.

Edit on Day 26: Okay, I owe you guys a little more than that. Here's what happened. Unlike Day 15, which was caused by technical difficulties, this one is all my fault.

Thanksgiving is tomorrow, and you know what I am thankful for? My friends. But I wasn't going to just say that like everyone else does. I was determined to prove it.

So I went to Facebook, went through my Friend List (which was QUITE EXTENSIVE) and wrote a paragraph about EACH AND EVERY ONE OF THEM and how much I care about them. This was an idea that I had really late at night on the 24th. And I had to somehow get them all done by the 27th. So yeah, I've been super-busy with this project that I'm just doing for fun.

As a result, I spent literally ALL DAY on the 25th writing about my friends and I was just so exhausted from all of that writing that I just couldn't bring myself to write for PTTA as well.

Hopefully, I can do better now.

---500 WORD COUNT STARTS NOW---

Season 1's "Party of One" is a fan favorite. To be honest, if it were to be done today, chances are that I would hate it. It seems like pandering to the bronies since it essentially just canonized "Cupcakes". (NOTE: I have not read Cupcakes, and I will never read Cupcakes. I only know about its plot via second-hand sources, so if I got that wrong, don't blame me.) However, in Season 1, it was impossible that it was pandering since bronies didn't exist yet. The more I think about it though, the more I realize that this isn't really pandering at all. Pinkie Pie is a character that makes friends with literally everyone she sees. Her entire world revolves around friendship. It makes total sense that she would just completely break if she ever lost that. This was definitely in-character for Pinkie, even if I didn't see it as such at first.

Season 2 gives us "A Canterlot Wedding Part 1". I will freely admit that I love Shining Armor and Princess Cadance as characters. However, their introductions were VERY poorly handled. It literally came out of nowhere. "Twilight Sparkle has a brother, remember? Oh, and he's marrying into royalty now." You know what would have been better? Shining Armor is Captain of the Royal Guard. As such, he's involved in military affairs. He just got back from doing some espionage in another land separate from Equestria. In case of his capture, it was crucial that no one find out anything about him, to keep Equestria safe. As such, he asked everyone to never mention him until he got back. THERE. That works! Use that! That's really all I have to say about this episode, really. There's quite some good stuff with Chrysalis, but it doesn't come until Part 2, so see Day 26's entry for that.

And Season 4 gives us "Twilight's Kingdom Part 1". I was worried at first. Twilight doesn't feel like she's worth too much as a princess, and so she's mopey. I was worried that this was going to be the entire episode. Thankfully, Tirek and Discord made sure that there was gonna be some antagonistic ass-kicking later. And boy was it amazing. Tirek is one of my favorite MLP characters (both here and in G1), so I quite enjoyed it. Discord's character arc also seems to be great. The "reformed" Discord is hilarious to watch, with all of his witty antics, but the "unreformed" Discord is an actual, threatening, sadistic villain. Both sides are great, and he flips between them throughout this two-parter, giving the perfect blend of them, and allowing the audience to experience the best of both worlds.

No comments:

Post a Comment