Nov 24, 2014

Ponies Through The Ages: Day 24

Well, this is it. We've come a long way, but this will be our last set of episodes before the two-part season finales. For the next couple of days, we're going to be looking at two two-parters and a standalone episode for each day. This is the last day of three standalone episodes. Man, I'm gonna miss this.

---500 WORD COUNT STARTS NOW---

Season 1 gives us "Owl's Well That Ends Well", which is a good introduction to Owlowiscious. Owlowiscious has a great character, and is probably my favorite out of the pets. (Though, frankly, all of them are so good.) Spike's antics are a bit annoying, because, like many problems in this show, THE WHOLE THING COULD BE SOLVED IF YOU JUST TALKED TO EACH OTHER.

Season 2 gives us "MMMystery on the Friendship Express". The murder mystery on a train aspect was really cool to me, until I found out that Adventure Time did it first (in the appropriately-named "Mystery Train" episode). Despite that, I still think that "MMMystery on the Friendship Express" is a good episode. The overwhelming amount of alliteration in the dialogue was incredible, and must have been hard to write, and the flashbacks done in the styles of silent films, James Bond movies, and ninja movies (Was it a Samurai Jack reference? I keep hearing different things) are always fun to watch. My one complaint is that I wish the title included four M's in "Mystery" instead of three. Cause, you know, the cake has four M's in it. Marzipan Mascarpone Meringue Madness.

And Season 4 gives us "Equestria Games". Oh man, this has been built up for a while now. "Just for Sidekicks", "Games Ponies Play", "Flight to the Finish", "Rainbow Falls", and now here. And what do we get after all that build-up? A Spike-centered episode with the games themselves being in the background. But to be fair, I think it was good for a Spike-centered episode. The message of having to believe in yourself rather than having others believe in you is important, and is something that I never expected FiM to tackle. I'm glad that they did. Unfortunately, it's not good enough to do that after you have THAT much buildup. After four episodes spanning two seasons, I'm afraid that just "good" isn't good enough. The episode failed to deliver what it promised: the Equestria Games. I wasn't really looking forward to them anyways, because I didn't particularly care for any of the buildup episodes, but still. You had a chance to potentially redeem yourself and make all of this worth it, and you blew it.

1 comment:

  1. Already? Boy this has flown b.

    S1 - Yep, not really a problem, but seeing him not be able to handle not being the center of Twilight's attention was fun.

    S2 - I think mystery on a train is an old cliche plot, but I love trains some I'm perfectly fine with it.

    S4 - I didn't actually care about the games, but after two seasons of hypeing them up as the most important thing ever, to have them just happen off screen... WHAT. A. LETDOWN.

    ReplyDelete