Nov 18, 2014

Ponies Through The Ages: Day 18

NOTE: The opinions expressed below reflect only that of GoldenSandslash15, and not of Obsession Is Magic as a whole. As I am about to go hate on a very popular episode, I should just have you know that you should send all of your torches and pitchforks to me directly, rather than coming after Dusty, Galvin, Drom, or anyone else who works on the site.

---500 WORD COUNT STARTS NOW---

Season 1 gives us "The Show Stoppers". It's an okay premise. The biggest issue with it is that this is two CMC episodes in a row, which does not make sense from a marketing standpoint. The only problem I have with the episode itself though is that I thought Scootaloo's singing was too good. Sure, their act fell apart in terms of choreography, set, and costumes, but the singing was awesome.

Season 2 gives us "A Friend In Deed", which is a terrible episode, because the audience is on Cranky's side the whole time. He just wants to be left alone, and Pinkie Pie keeps forcing herself onto him. And what does Pinkie Pie get as punishment for doing this to someone who didn't want it? Well, Pinkie suffers the terrible, agonizing fate of... getting everything she ever wanted. Seriously. She gets Cranky to be her friend, and everyone goes home with a smile. Bullshit. The episode was working up to a great message about how to interact with introverts, and then it just throws away the entire message at the end with, quite frankly, a deus ex machina. Matilda just showed up right the fuck out of nowhere without being seen before, and then just straight-up solves the problem. Deus. Ex. Machina.

And Season 4 gives us the universally-loved "Maud Pie". Both online and offline, I've talked to many bronies, and I have yet to find a single person who agrees with me that this episode is garbage. At first, I thought that it was because the "Emotionless Girl" thing had been done to death. Gaz from Invader Zim, Eska from The Legend of Korra, and so on. But then I realized that MLP has done some clich├ęs before, and they never bothered me. So why was it bothering me here? It wasn't. But I knew there was something about Maud that still bothered me, and I just couldn't put my finger on it. Well, after a rewatch, I realized my problem is... This is unrealistic.

"Oh wow, GSS. You mean to tell me that a cartoon about a flying pegasus that leaves behind a rainbow trail, and a pony princess that can shoot unicorn magic out of her horn is unrealistic? Kudos to you, you deserve a nobel prize for that deduction."

No, no, no. Think about it. Remember Equestria Girls? "The magic of friendship doesn't just exist in Equestria. It's everywhere." That's there to tell the little kids in the audience that they should take the lessons that Twilight and her friends learn and apply them in the real world. And that's the problem with Maud Pie. This lesson can't be applied in the real world, because NOBODY in the real world acts like Maud, because that's unhealthy. You can't just keep your emotions all bottled up like she does, without serious damage to your psyche. That's my problem with the episode. The moral is totally irrelevant, and thus the episode feels like a waste of time.

1 comment:

  1. Someone on OIM is about to do something inflammatory? Ehh, it's just another Tuesday.

    S1 - Yeah, I only really remember the song being alright.. other than that what even happened.

    S2 - Yeah, pretty much a ending spoiling the whole episode deal. If you stop the episode early and just ignore the ending, then it's moderately better. Also it's kind of racist that Cranky has Donkey in his name, it's basically the Equivalent of N@gger Jim.

    S4 - Oh boy... oh boy. You did not jut call Maud Pie Garbage. (Rereads) Yep, you did. Okay, so yeah Maud is an extreme, unrealistic case, but I'm fine with over the top caricatures from time to time, and this one just happens to be one I enjoyed. I won't say you're wrong, because I can very clearly see how some people wouldn't like that character and thus the episode would be abysmal.

    Okay, how about this, if later on in the series Maud shows back up and has a breakdown or go psycho and kills someone because she bottled everything up, would that retroactively make this a good episode?

    I sort of get what you're saying about the moral and being a waste, but it really doesn't bother me because I'm not really watching these for the morals. So if the moral is weird or just falls flat then that's not going to ruin everything because I'm watching it for other reasons.

    ReplyDelete