Nov 17, 2014

Ponies Through The Ages: Day 17

---500 WORD COUNT STARTS NOW---

Today, Season 1 gives us "Stare Master", which I love. Fluttershy is one of the most disappointing characters in the show, because she has so much potential, and it is frequently wasted on the same tired plotline of her becoming too aggressive, and then changing her mind later. Episodes about her that deviate from that are very welcome. This one is included in that. The Cockatrice was also a very well-designed monster. I like the animation on it. Hell, the animation of the whole episode the whole show is pretty good.

Actually, while I'm on the topic, you know how we're used to getting really amazing 3D effects and animated shading and stuff in Season 3 and 4 now? Let me just say that I miss the good old days of simplicity. Yeah, it's not as good, but it had a different style that made it look more... I dunno, childish. It kinda takes me back to cartoons of my era, rather than the new millennial ones. Just something I noticed while doing PTTA.

Continuing, I also felt that the moral of the episode is one that I can get behind. You shouldn't be so reckless to rush into danger all of the time just because you can. And the fact that it's Fluttershy of all ponies who has to stand up to the cockatrice and defend her friends makes it even better.

Anywho, Season 2 gives us "Hearts and Hooves Day", which is an odd episode. Usually, I'm not a fan of romance in fiction (because very rarely is any effort put into it, or they make it completely unrealistic, or they don't get together until the very end, thus robbing the story of any romance during the story, or any combination of the above problems), but this was weird. The "love potion gone wrong" plot has been done to death, and yet, I still enjoyed it. I think it's because it was kinda making fun of how over-done it is. Cheerilee and Big Mac's pet names for each other were honestly in "So Bad It's Good" territory. And then there's the jelly fetish guy. Um... yeah. Moving on...

Season 4's "Somepony to Watch Over Me" is probably my favorite CMC episode. That's really not that strong of an accomplishment, though. Applejack being overprotective is very annoying and unnecessary, and so the first one-third to one-half of the episode is dumb. However, pretty much everything after the not-song is awesome. The chimera had a great design, and good voices too. The fight scene in the swamp was pretty dark and epic. And the music and animation of the episode from here is spot-on amazing. Overall, I think it's middle-of-the-road. Good second half, bad first half. Overall equates to average.

1 comment:

  1. S1 - Yeah, Stare Master is a great episode... pretty much all to say.

    Yeah, I agree with you on the animation stuff. At first it was neat them having cool effects, but it got away from how season one felt, just another thing that makes season one so different from the other seasons.

    S2 - Yeah, romance usually is handled very poorly in most mediums, "oh boy I wonder if they'll get together in the end, surprise surprise they did." Strangely Obsessed with tubs of jelly guy is awesome, we should all follow his example.

    S4 - I agree completely. First half is just bad, second half was awesome, mainly because I wasn't expecting a dark flaming thigh high boots monster battle.

    ReplyDelete