Mar 5, 2013

The Transformers: More than Meets the Eye

First things first, I suppose I owe you guys an explanation... This post has been a long time coming, but I could never seem to find a good time for it... Until now, that is.

This post is aimed at two groups. One, people who, like me, are disappointed that Transformers: Prime is ending and need to find more ways to get their robot fix. And two, ANYONE who enjoys reading good comic books.
If either of the above applies to you, please, humor me and continue to read after the page break. If, however, you don't like Transformers AND you don't like good comic books... Well then, by all means, feel free to ignore everything I have to say here... (But you know you're curious and want to check after the break anyway. Wink wink, nudge nudge.)

To quote Blurrz, of seibertron.com, "If you haven't caught up yet with the happenings of Rodimus and the Lost Light crew in the past thirteen issues of Transformers: More Than Meets The Eye, then you better pick up the phone and call the ambulances, because you have an emergency on your hands!"
And guess what? Believe it or not, I myself have been experiencing that emergency first-hand. I didn't start reading the series until quite recently, and I've been desperately trying to catch up since then! (I'm ALMOST there...)
No matter what your fancy, I'm 99.9% certain that this series has something for YOU. Comedy? Action? Grimdark? Check, check, and CHECK... And best of all, these different things are balanced WONDERFULLY. The tone of the comic often switches quickly, and to great effect.
And hey, you don't need to know anything about Transformers to enjoy MTMTE. The Autobots are the "good guys", the Decepticons are the "bad guys"... but none of that matters anymore because the war is OVER. That's right, this series takes place in the IDW G1 reboot continuity, AFTER the Great War has ended! This is simply the story of a bunch of robots stuck on a spaceship (the Lost Light), traveling about the universe and having wacky adventures.

So, why am I bringing this up now? Why am I saying that NOW is such a great time to get into this series? ...Because the series' writer, James Roberts, had this to say about tomorrow's release of issue #14:
"In all sorts of ways, issue #14 is the beginning of an eight-part story. The first 13 issues have lined up all the dominoes, and next week we're going to give the first one a little nudge and see what happens. It seems appropriate, then, to offer up a song that serves as a sort of theme. Think of the next eight issues as a movie, and this song playing (loudly) over the opening credits"
This is the beginning of a new arc. There's something sinister aboard the Lost Light, and things are NOT looking good for our heroes...

Now then, if you're still reading this, I strongly recommend that you check this out for yourself!
http://www.comixology.com/Transformers-More-Than-Meets-the-Eye-Ongoing/comics-series/7279
If you can spare eight bucks, the "Volume 1" collection (which contains the prequel one-shot "The Death of Optimus Prime" and MTMTE issues #1-#3) is an AMAZING deal. MTMTE could very well be my favorite comic book series that I've EVER read.


On another, somewhat related note...
Be sure to remember that issue #4 of IDW's My Little Pony series (the finale to "The Return of Queen Chrysalis") is also coming out tomorrow!

3 comments:

  1. Well, I'll honestly probably not read this (mainly because I'm cheap and don't want to pay for it) I'm glad to tell you I'm finally giving Transformers Prime a shot, I'll shoot you an email soon and let you know what I think.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I guess I can't blame ya for wanting to hold on to your money, heh. As for you checking out Prime, awesome! I look forward to hearing what you have to say about it.

      Delete
    2. ...I should clarify something for others who might be reading these comments: If you CAN afford the eight bucks to get the MTMTE Vol. 1 collection, do it! I don't advise breaking the bank just to get some comics, but if you happen to have that eight dollars to spare, I'd be hard pressed to think of a better way to spend it. XD

      Delete