Jan 19, 2013

ChaoticBrony Hall of Pony

The latest artist to be inducted into our Hall of Pony is ChaoticBrony! While excellent craftsmanship isn't all that rare in the brony community, this artist has some impressive skills that set him apart from the rest. Rather than using paper, fabric, or clay, he performs intricate work with various metals (sometimes accented with beautiful stones or enameling) and creates absolutely stunning pieces of jewelry! And on top of that, he makes some hilarious comics too!
Check out the interview after the break! As is usual, you may have to click one or two of the comics to see them in a readable size.

1.When/how did you discover MLP:FIM?

I knew about MLP:FIM since July of 2011 because of the crazy brony shenanigans I would come across all the time on the internet, but I wanted nothing to do with it.

In February of 2012 I heard about the Derpy controversy and found myself both intrigued and upset by it even though I did not care about MLP. That somehow lead to spending hours watching clips from MLP:FIM on YouTube, which in turn lead to me watching the episodes that aired the next day (“Lesson Zero” and “The Cutie Pox”). I found myself hooked since then.

2.Who is your favorite main cast character and why?

It will always be a tie between Applejack and Rarity.

Applejack is quick witted, hard working, laid back, and an all around fantastic friend that anypony would be lucky to have. I’ve never had so much respect for a character in a TV show before.

I adore Rarity because of how she’s always trying to act prim and proper, but is quick to loose her cool. She has the best facial expressions of anypony in the show; and I believe her element of generosity is the one I can relate to the most.

3.Who is your favorite background character (this is anypony other than the main 6. ie not Twilight, Fluttershy...)?

For me it’s an easy choice. Derpy will now, and always, be my favorite background pony. She was the first pony who’s name I learned, she made me a brony, and honestly how can you not love her?

4.Who would you follow, Celestia or Luna?

More than likely I’d follow Luna. It looks to me like she’d have the larger army of bronies at her disposal, and there’s no way I’d want to be on the opposing team!

5.What would you tell someone who hasn't watched the show?

Love, tolerate, or hate it. That’s your choice. But don’t just hate the show for no reason. Watch it first and find a reason to hate it…If you can.

6.What are your influences (for both your jewelry and your comics)?

Outside the fandom, my biggest influence is definitely my dad. He’s one of the best jewelers I’ve ever known, and has taught me everything that’s gotten me where I am today. Amongst the fandom, my influences for my jewelry would be my fellow artisan craftsmen. The plushies, trinkets, miniatures, cosplays, etcetera. The things some bronies can make with their own two hands just astounds me!

My biggest influence for my comics would have to be the writers for MLP:FIM. I try my best to base the humor in my comics off the humor they write for the show. I also admire many of my fellow brony comic artists like Toxic-Mario, Foxy-Noxy, LoCeri, and CSImadmax. Their creative humor and unique art styles are truly inspirational.

7.Your talents are rather unique in the brony community. How long have you been making jewelry? And what inspired you to start making jewelry based on MLP?

I’ve been hand making jewelry for about 8 years. However, after 4 months of watching MLP:FIM, I started to notice a connection between the way I make my jewelry, and the art style of the show. Then the idea to combine my obsession with jewelry designing with my love of ponies came to me.

8.If you had one quote (from anything) that has really had an impact on you/ just a saying you really liked, what would it be?

“It’s not the winds of change; it’s how you set your sails”

9.What is the best pony site you know? (Hint Hint, remember you're doing this thing for Obsession Is Magic, but I do encourage you to be truthful.)

The ponies are everywhere! I don’t think there’s a single website that isn’t a pony site anymore!

But seriously, that’s a tough question to answer. You see, one does not simply choose a best pony site.

10.Just a little about yourself. This is open ended, so you tell us anything you want to tell.

For as long as I can remember, my childhood dream was to become a famous jeweler who’s designs were worn all over the world. It was always what I wanted more than anything. Over the years, I began to feel like this dream was probably never going to happen. Then I introduced ChaoticBrony into the fandom. I honestly wasn’t sure where it was going to lead, but realistically I wasn’t expecting to get very far. But before I knew it my fan base grew beyond my expectations, and I was sending my designs to bronies everywhere! Only recently did I realize that in a way, my childhood dream has come true.

It makes me so happy that there are so many out there who appreciate my craft, and my comics. I love using my talents to support the fandom, and I love making people laugh!

Welcome to the Hall of Pony, ChaoticBrony! We here at Obsession Is Magic look forward to seeing more of your beautiful jewelry and brilliant comics!

1 comment: