Dec 8, 2012

yiKOmega Hall of Pony

It's time to induct another great artist into the Hall of Pony, and that artist is yiKOmega! Not afraid to try out different styles, he's created an amazing and diverse gallery of artwork. And even if you've never seen his deviantART page before, there's a good chance that you've seen at least one of his awesome shirts. (You know you want one.)
Now, check after the break for the interview!

1.When/how did you discover MLP:FIM?

It was in May 2011. I play Super Street Fighter IV, and I was on youtube looking up combos. The "Guile theme goes with everything" meme was in the related section, so I got distracted with that for awhile. Then I see a colorful pony on a thumbnail, clicked it, and witnessed the Sonic Rainboom-- with the Guile theme! I immediately liked the style and looked up the first episode and watched it... then the second...then the third...and so on. I searched to find out who works on the cartoon and instantly realized why I liked it so much.

2.Who is your favorite main cast character and why?

This question's always hard to answer, because all of them are great. And they're great because they all have their flaws. But if I had to pick just one, I'd go with Twilight Sparkle. I'm a little socially awkward, organized, I get along with everyone, and I deeply study anything that even slightly interests me.

3.Who is your favorite background character (this is anypony other than the main 6. ie not Twilight, Fluttershy...)?

I gotta go with good ol' Derpy Hooves! The fandom pulled her out of the background and into the spotlight. There's really no other background character like her. For any pony other than the main 6, I'd go with Scootaloo. Even though she can't seem to fly for very long, her aspirations are clear by her admiration for Rainbow Dash. She's a determined little pony with big dreams! I admire that.

4.Who would you follow, Celestia or Luna?

Luna. I'm practically nocturnal.

5.What would you tell someone who hasn't watched the show?

If they haven't watched it and seem like they would be interested, I'd tell them that the creator and writers can be traced back to the unforgettable cartoons of the late 90's and 2000's. The writing, artstyle, animation, and voice acting are high quality, making the characters relatable and real. Even though children were kept in mind, it was made for everyone to enjoy. If they don't like it, it's all good.

6.What are your influences?

I'm influenced by so much that I don't know how to answer this. I like to experiment with different styles like thick, dark line art to no lines at all, which is why most of my art may not look like it's by the same artist. But I do like to keep the "cute" consistent.

7.If you had one quote (from anything) that has really had an impact on you/ just a saying you really liked, what would it be?

"Imagine you have 100,000 bad drawings in you. You have to get all of them out before you can start making good drawings." I've heard this from numerous animators in the industry.

8.What is the best pony site you know? (Hint Hint, remember you're doing this thing for Obsession Is Magic, but I do encourage you to be truthful.)

To be honest, I've never heard of Obsession is Magic. I usually visit Equestria Daily. But hey, do you like ponies!? Do you like friendship? Then come on down to Obsession is Magic where they have pony news and everything in between! (there's my endorsement :P)

9.Just a little about yourself. This is open ended, so you tell us anything you want to tell.

Hmm... I'm an animation student. I like to play acoustic & electric guitar, piano, and drums. I play tennis. I work out a lot. I wear extremely thick glasses when I'm not wearing my contact lenses. I like chocolate.

I also wanted to take this opportunity to thank everyone for viewing my fan art and wearing my MLP shirt designs from welovefine.com. It's the best feeling when I see someone wearing my design. Just recently I saw a video of someone giving my Pastry Dash shirt to a little girl as a present. Things like that help me to create more art that may bring smiles to people's faces. Thank you all very much and thank you for the interview.

Welcome to the Hall of Pony, yiKOmega! We here at Obsession Is Magic look forward to seeing more of your wonderful art!

1 comment:

  1. Hmm, I really like your art style and somehow I've missed out on you before, but guess who just got another deviantart watcher? I'm going to go remedy this immediately!

    Also, thanks for the endorsment!

    ReplyDelete