Aug 25, 2012

Raikoh-illust Hall of Pony

Our latest Hall of Pony inductee is Raikoh-illust, a wonderful artist with a talent for painting brilliant style onto a digital canvas. Not limited to ponies, he's made quite a bit of fan art pertaining to other series as well, and is especially notable for his amazing Transformers and Star Wars art. Needless to say, I highly recommend taking a look at his other work.
Anyway, check after the break to read the interview!

1.When/how did you discover MLP:FIM?

I do remember seeing bits of the show way back when the Hub network premiered back in 10/10/10. But I didn't actually see my first complete episode of the show until I think March of 2011, which I remembered was the episode "Bridle Gossip".
After seeing it, I thought it was funny, but it didn't caught my attention to see all of it. Eventually I begin to see more episodes during the summer, and suddenly I made my first MLP fan art back in July, I was hooked with the show. By the beginning of the second season, I started making more and more fan art, to now I have I think over 200 MLP pictures in my gallery.

2.Who is your favorite main cast character and why?

Man, that's really difficult to choose, 'cause I do love them all. But I will have to say Twilight is my absolute favorite one, she has great design, colors, personality, and the episodes where she is the main star one are among my absolute favorites because they are very funny, and clever too.

3.Who is your favorite background character (this is anypony other than the main 6. ie not Twilight, Fluttershy...)?

Has to be Derpy.

4.Who would you follow, Celestia or Luna?

Well, Luna is my favorite Princess, but Celestia is the one who's had to rule Equestria and raise the Sun and the Moon all by herself for a thousand years, so I think she has better ability in keeping order and everything.

5.What would you tell someone who hasn't watched the show?

Well I can say that this series has amazing animation, great characters with lots of personalities, and stories that while are mostly made of slice-of-life type of stories, they are well executed, and very funny.

6.What are your influences?

Influences? Well in terms of art in general, I would guess that it was my older brother, who did great architectural illustrations, so that made me want to start doodling. Then eventually I started watching The Joy of Painting with Bob Ross, and seeing him painting something brand new in about 30 minutes left me in awe, and I knew I wanted to paint just like him. In my Secondary years, I started with painting classes where they taught how to paint using oils.
About 3 years ago, when I made my dA account, I begin doing digital art, which at first I did everything with a mouse, but then I got my first tablet, and that was when my digital art skills really soared as I began to learn using the software. And to this day I still am learning new things of how to make digital art, so it's been very exciting.

7.If you had one quote (from anything) that has really had an impact on you/ just a saying you really liked, what would it be?

One quote I recently heard that I think it's great it's never give up with what you are doing. And don't be afraid to try doing other things that you may had never tried, for doing a variety of different things is what helps one in being more creative and unique in the art world.

8.What is the best pony site you know? (Hint Hint, remember you're doing this thing for Obsession Is Magic, but I do encourage you to be truthful.)

Well, I have only known of a few sites only, and the ones I visit the ones the most are the ones that feature the latest news, music and artworks, and videos from the MLP community. Also I enjoy visiting many Pony related tumblr blogs, where I had found many great artists with their own unique styles.

9.Just a little about yourself. This is open ended, so you tell us anything you want to tell.

Well, what can I say? I guess I should say that I am just a guy who loves drawing, and ever since I had been a fan of MLP: FIM, the amount of people that had seen my fanarts and telling me how much they love it, it makes feel so happy, and I feel a sense of comfort in me because of that, so thank you all so much.

Welcome to the Hall of Pony, Raikoh-illust! We here at Obsession Is Magic look forward to more of your beautiful art, from whatever fandom it may come!

1 comment:

  1. I was wondering how long it would take you before you got to Raikoh-illust. Surprised it took you this long.

    ReplyDelete