Jul 14, 2012

valleyviolet Hall of Pony

This week's featured artist is valleyviolet, a plushie maker! More specifically, she makes and sells patterns so that others can try their hand at the craft.
Interested in trying them out yourself? Head on over to her Etsy shop, where you can purchase either physical copies or PDFs of the patterns. Oh, and by the way, LUNAtic uses one of these patterns for her plushies! I highly recommend these patterns to anyone who would like to make their own pony plush.
Anyway, check after the break for the interview!

1.When/how did you discover MLP:FIM?

I was a huge fan of the original My Little Ponies when I was a kid in the 80's, but I didn't pay a lot of attention to the MLP fan community until FiM came out. I heard a lot of good reviews of the series and eventually got around to trying it. I was a big fan of Sailor Moon back in high school, so the plot of the first two episodes of FiM hooked me right away!

2.Who is your favorite main cast character and why?

I've come to like Twilight the most, but it took me a while to pick a favorite. Some of the episodes where Twilight struggled with perfectionism made me identify with her a lot. I lose sleep and stress out over getting things "just right" way more often than I'd like to admit.  ;)

3.Who is your favorite background character (this is anypony other than the main 6. ie not Twilight, Fluttershy...)?

I'm sure everyone says this, but I really like Derpy Hooves.... As someone who's been wearing glasses since second grade, it's comforting to see a pony who's not physically perfect in Equestria.

4.Who would you follow, Celestia or Luna?

I'm very fond of Luna (since she's the more flawed character, she's more interesting in many ways), but I think the two sisters are better as a pair. Celestia has long years of experience running the country; Luna has eyes made fresh by time and distance that can see "old traditions" from a new perspective. Together they'll be able to make Equestria stronger and happier than it has ever been.

If they were to end up fighting against each other, I'd be forming a resistance for the sole purpose of bringing them back into harmony. :)

5.What would you tell someone who hasn't watched the show?

It's a good show. It's totally worth watching the first episode or two!
(I have a longer spiel if they need "why adults watch kids' shows" explained to them. Most of my friends have already watched shows like Avatar:TLA or Powerpuff Girls so I don't have to go through that part often.)

6.What are your influences?

I'm strongly influenced by other plush-makers on deviantART. When I started out learning to design plushies I was a huge fan of BabyLondonStar (who has closed her DA account since then, sadly). I'm also very grateful to the community of plush-makers on the web. There are a lot of amazing people out there who sell patterns and provide beautiful patterns for free. I learned a lot by examining the patterns that Runo offers (http://dollmaker.nunodoll.com/), among others.

7.If you had one quote (from anything) that has really had an impact on you/ just a saying you really liked, what would it be?

When I was in college I had a postcard from the Sandman comics with a picture of Death and the phrase, "You get what everyone gets. You get a lifetime." I kept it by my computer monitor as a reminder that I shouldn't spend the time I have on wishing things were different or lying to myself. I get one lifetime and I should make the most of it.

8.What is the best pony site you know? (Hint Hint, remember you're doing this thing for Obsession Is Magic, but I do encourage you to be truthful.)

LOL! I don't read a lot of pony sites so I can't do a lot of comparing. Most of my pony news comes from deviantART or is filtered through my husband (who reads Equestria Daily sporadically). I skim some ask tumblrs sporadically and I'm a big fan of MoonStuck.

9.Just a little about yourself. This is open ended, so you tell us anything you want to tell.

I always have a terrible time talking about myself (I know I'm far from being alone in that). For my day job I'm a computer programmer and for fun I play all kinds of games: table top roleplaying games, board games, card games, and live action role playing games. I've been sewing for more than ten years, most of that has been sewing costumes. I did a stint sewing Victorian reproduction clothing and other historical outfits and that was around the time I started drafting my own clothing patterns. I spent 5 years taking horseback riding lessons when I was in my teens (I have an idea of how dangerous real ponies are!). I've read all of H.P. Lovecraft's published prose works and I love watching British mystery television shows. I know this is more of a series of random statements, but it's what I've got. ;)

TLDR: I consume oxygen and I'm generally not on fire.

Welcome to the Hall of Pony, valleyviolet! We here at Obsession Is Magic look forward to more wonderful patterns from you, and we can't wait to see the great plushies that others will make with them!

4 comments:

  1. Nice plushies. And what a coincidence, I too consume oxygen and I'm generally not on fire. Small world.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy to see Valleyviolet here. I absolutely love her patterns. Yes Dusty, this is how Mania plush started with some modifications. Is she still getting lots of pets? Also why is it a lot of plush makers started with costuming? I used to make Elizabethan and Italian Ren gowns. There must be something to that.

    Anyway Valleyviolet you are amazing. Please keep making those amazing patterns.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've essentially got Maneia on a pedestal down in the area where I spend all my time, so I basically worship her as an idol. ...I may have gotten unhealthily attached.

      Delete
    2. Well she is a unicorn. I blame the magical horn. Good thing I did make you one like the two I just made. I'm recreating one of Pixelkitties drawings. I hope I don't offend her next weekend.

      Delete