Jul 7, 2012

NastyLady Hall of Pony

This week's Hall of Pony inductee is the wonderfully talented artist known as NastyLady! While she is most known for her amazing steampunk ponies, she's also made a few pony sculptures and has been working on a comic series called "All the Words".
Check out the interview after the break!

1.When/how did you discover MLP:FIM?
-I was noticing pony stuff on DeviantArt and all around the Internet for quite a long time but I started watching the show in October 2011, shortly after Discord episodes were aired.
But that wasn’t my first contact with MLP. When I was a kid I used to play with G2 and G3 ponies, and because of that I was very skeptical about FIM, although I usually love all sorts of cartoons. I thought it was just some weird meme or something and soon it would die like many others before. It didn’t, though, so I gave the show a try. “It is... pretty good” I thought... then I discovered this amazing, huge MLP:FIM fandom.
If not for the fandom, I probably wouldn’t stick into ponies. For me, the show is a base for awesome fan creations.

2.Who is your favorite main cast character and why?
-That’s the most difficult question ever. Like many others I simply can’t pick one pony. I love all of them. But right now (in two weeks it will probably change) I think that Twilight Sparkle and Pinkie Pie are my favourites.
Twilight, because, well, she’s a great, non-stereotypical character. I don’t think I have to explain that! I also think I somehow identify with her, you know, being a bit socially awkward, super-organised, care about (in my case) drawing more than about friends. I could even say I learn friendship with her.
And Pinkie... she’s just disturbing. I always liked those freaky characters who are constantly doing impossible things just because nobody told them it is impossible. Her breakdown was brilliant, too. I may be wrong, but for me she’s the most mysterious pony of them all.

3.Who is your favorite background character?
-I’m a big fan of background ponies. Escpecially those who hardly ever speak a word, like Derpy, Doctor Whooves, Colgate, Carrot Top, Lyra, Bon Bon, Vinyl or Octavia.
I think I like Doctor Whooves the most, thanks to the awesome Ask Discord Whooves tumblr. The fact I’m a Whovian can also have something to do with that.
I also love Vinyl, mostly for her awesome design and fan-created personality.
And my favourite supporting characters are Sweetie Belle, Braeburn and the Wonderbolts.

4.Who would you follow, Celestia or Luna?
-Celestia, I think. I’m not into this whole Solar Empire/Lunar Republic stuff. Celestia is a more experienced ruler than Luna, besides, Nightmare Moon, right? Trusting somepony who wanted to bring an eternal night and hasn’t been around for 1000 years just doesn’t sound like a good idea to me.
But don’t get me wrong, I really like Luna. And night. I just think Celestia is a better ruler.

5.What would you tell someone who hasn't watched the show?
-That it’s worth a try. That you should just chill out, forget your age and enjoy the humor, singing and friendship pouring out of your screen. But I wouldn’t insist.

6.What are your influences?
-It’s hard to tell. I don’t think I’ve ever seen anyone who I could call “perfect artist and my master from now on”. Usually it’s more like I admire one single element of somebody’s style.
Like Slugbox’ shading, atryl’s simple linearts, FoxInShadow’s roughness or jitterbugjive’s ability to portray pony expressions.
And of course many other pony and non-pony artists. Oh, and I love the style of 80’s comic books.

7.If you had one quote (from anything) that has really had an impact on you/just a saying you really liked, what would it be?
-I’m not really into quotes. However, there is a song that says “hold on to what you try to be,
your individuality”. And this is, I think, the most important thing.
Basically the whole song has a huge impact on me. It really filled me with positive attitude to the world. It’s called “Bring It All Back” by S Club 7. Just listen to it.

8.What is the best pony site you know? (Hint Hint, remember you're doing this thing for Obsession Is Magic, but I do encourage you to be truthful.)
-I think I won’t be the first one who says “Equestria Daily”. I also follow a few ask-pony tumblrs. The best ones are akdiscordwhooves.tumblr.com and ask-jappleack.tumblr.com.

9.Just a little about yourself. This is open ended, so you tell us anything you want to tell.
-Oh dear, another difficult one. Well, I am Polish... and I will come of age in three years... and I’m self taught, like many other Internet artists...
What else can I say?
I love Polish and Russian science-fiction books. I believe in TARDIS. I try to enjoy every little thing around me.
I also wear a hat.

Welcome to the Hall of Pony, NastyLady! We here at Obsession Is Magic look forward to whatever brilliant work of art you make next, steampunk or otherwise!

3 comments:

  1. yay!
    another one of my favorite artists :D
    and boy do I feel old right now <_<

    ReplyDelete