Jun 8, 2012

Prometheus Movie Review

I went looking for Alien's origin, but by the end, there were more questions than answers.




After a pair of scientists discover several tablets of various origins all pointing to the same the location, they, along with fifteen others, set out on a scientific expedition to discover what they believe could be the secret to man's origin. However, they soon find that what they hope could explain man's birth could lead to the deaths of themselves and all of mankind.

I'm sorry, but I haven't seen Alien. Before you start screaming and ranting about how I haven't lived yet and that the equivalent to that is like me saying that I like to eat small children, I've heard it all before. (Dusty actually told me that last one on the way to the theater). However, this actually works for me, so I can't be completely biased about how "this one wasn't as good the original aliens blah blah blah".

Let's just go ahead and get this out of the way: Prometheus looks good. The effects and everything are all top notch, with an excellent soundtrack filled with big booming noises that creates a great expanding atmosphere for the movie. Yes, effects now-a-days always look good, but how are they at making you cringe? This is an alien movie, after all? The answer: pretty good, when they want to. There's only a few times the dark "alien" effects come into play into the movie. You know, those moments when stuff busts out of people guts, tentacles shoot into peoples mouth, and things of that nature. I'm not that good of a judge when it comes to things of this caliber, as I don't frequent movies where cringing is what you're going for very often. However, I can say that, while these moments were few and far between, when they presented themselves, I was doing barrel rolls in my seats.

This brings me to another point. Prometheus is kinda boring. You won't fall asleep during the movie, but the scenes of suspense and cringing are few. I somewhat expected the crew to get lost or stuck outside the ship while the aliens picked them off or something like this, instead it's just slow, and it takes almost half the movie for something to actually happen aside from "look at that weird rock!" "hey, don't touch that weird rock, something bad could happen."

While we wait for horrid things to happen to the hapless crew of the Prometheus, we do get to know the horribly unlucky saps who were unfortunate enough to associate themselves to the mission; well, at least most of them. The main characters like Shaw (Noomi Rapace: "Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows", "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo")  David (Michael Fassbender: "300", "Xmen: First Class", "Inglorious Bastards") and Meredith Vickers (Charlize Theron: "Hancock", "Snow White and the Huntsman") we really get to know and see. These are the characters we connect with, whereas everyone else just dies after getting almost no screen time. At the end of the movie, two characters, who up to this point were only seen discussing a single bet, made a pretty deep decision, one which I should have stood up and applauded to, but instead I simply sat there and asked, "Why?" It felt like Prometheus just tried to make me connect with all seventeen crew members, while only showing me four. Not a bad thing, just something they could improve on.

Finally, we get to the big question. Does Prometheus answer all those nagging little questions you have in regard to the first Alien movie? I can't answer, since I haven't seen it, but upon accompanying two friends who have, I can answer no. In fact, I heard complaints of continuity breaks and things not matching up. This isn't to say that it was "no, that can't happen according to the first movie" but more of a "well, then how did this happen in Alien if this is a prequel?". Ridley Scott did leave room for a sequel and, based on the ending, I won't be surprised if we get one, but maybe they could have tried to tell us a few more things, but again, I haven't seen any of the Alien movies.

I can' really call Prometheus a failure, but I need to berate it for wasting so much potential. I was expecting an amazing experience where I would be terrified and awed and on the way home my ear would be filled with words like, "It makes so much sense now."  Instead, I received a slow plot with a few cringy moments that ultimately left all of us scratching our heads.

7.5/10
Nothing after the credits.

2 comments:

  1. Yeah, it was a "good" movie and I enjoyed it, but it was just very disappointing. It had a lot of nitpicky stuff and continuity issues. If this was supposed to be a prequel that directly precedes Alien, then it missed the target. I'm not positive but I think the movie openly contradicts itself at one point as well. It billed itself as answering questions, but all it did was give us more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate to say it, but I'm such a huge fan of the Alien trilogy (not quadrilogy, Resurrection sucked so bad I deny its existence) that I HAVE to see this regardless of what any review might say. I haven't seen it yet... but I will soon...

    Anyway, I wasn't expecting much action, nor was I expecting any real answers. Most of all, I just want to see a Space Jockey, haha.

    Now, GO WATCH SOME ALIEN MOVIES!! Especially the second one, Aliens. I love that movie so much.

    ReplyDelete