Jun 30, 2012

Adalbertus Hall of Pony

This Hall of Pony inductee, Adalbertus, is a bit different from those who came before him. You see, I hadn't even heard of him until he came to us with an art submission last week... And after seeing this wonderful art, I simply had to ask him if he'd like to be interviewed. He obliged me, and he's quickly become one of my favorite brony artists.
Check out the full interview after the break!

1.When/how did you discover MLP:FIM?

It was last summer, I think. I was pretty much aware of the fact that there was a new My Little Pony series and that it was big on the internet, but I never paid any attention to it. I did, however, point my girlfriend towards it as a joke. One night, I wanted to chat with her over Skype or something and she said she was busy watching ponies. Curiosity won over "eww, those are pink ponies for little girls".... and a few hours later, I noticed that the sun was rising.

2.Who is your favorite main cast character and why?

Twilight Sparkle, because everything! I literally said "ok, I like her" the moment she ditched her friend's birthday party to research the Elements of Harmony (less than 5 minutes into the first episode, I believe). And she's the main character of the show! I rarely like main characters of anything because I can't relate to them, in this case it was an instant. Twilight is a socially awkward bookworm with a scientific mind... and she's a girl (well... mare). It is impossible for a scientifically minded geek like me not to love that character. She also reminds me of my girlfriend, so that's a plus as well. :P

3.Who is your favorite background character (this is anypony other than the main 6. ie not Twilight, Fluttershy...)?

Does Princess Luna count? I hope she does. But honestly, it is a hard choice, because there are so many characters that live their own lives in the brony community. Take Octavia, or Vinyl Scratch or Lyra, not to mention Derpy. All those characters are there in the show for a few seconds and we created entire lives for them. The same happened, sadly, to Princess Luna, who got one episode out of 2 seasons and there are only 3 episodes we actually can see her (I'm counting two-parters as one episode); so again, most of the things I like about Luna come from the fandom (gamer Luna :D).
But that aside, Luna is the Princess of the Night, and I like the night. I love the night sky, and if possible, I stay up late and sleep the whole day. :D

4.Who would you follow, Celestia or Luna?

I suppose you can guess by now - I would follow my Lady of the Moon and serve her however she pleases. Also, the New Lunar Republic has a better theme song. :P

5.What would you tell someone who hasn't watched the show?

That really depends of the person. I usually know who might be interested in it, and who wouldn't like it just because - ponies. I'm not very vocal about MLP, but when someone asks me about it, I just say that it's a really good, funny and positive show with well written characters. And that the community around it is truly amazing. Of course, it's not for everyone, some people just aren't interested in the subject, some reject it just because it's My Little Pony. One of my friends even said that all I'm saying about the show and all the art I'm producing really makes him curious about it, but it's MLP so there is no way he'll watch it (but I'm not giving up on him :P). Personally, I consider it a victory if, after a talk like that, the other person sees the phenomenon of ponies as something more than what Fox News likes to report.

6.What are your influences?

There are many great artists, not just in the brony community, I look up to. FoxInShadow, Rayzor-sharp, Slugbox, John Joseco and the artist behind Lil-Miss-Rarity are the ones I probably learn most from by watching their art and their livestreams. And I hope I'm not too controversial with that inspiration choice since some of them draw NSFW stuff... but their art is great, so don't judge me :P There are, of course, many more, like NastyLady, BambooDog, PonyKillerX, Raikoh-illust, KevinSano, MegaSweet and... I could copy-paste my deviantART watchlist here, as well as a few fanfiction writers (Visiden Visidane or Sieurin). They gave me ideas, influenced my style and the way I draw.

7.If you had one quote (from anything) that has really had an impact on you/ just a saying you really liked, what would it be?

Every time I get the question about a favorite quote, I have my mind blank.
There is a fragment of "Hymn of Apollo" by Percy Bysshe Shelley that I find incredibly inspiring, not only in an artistic sense, but in life in general.

I am the eye with which the Universe
Beholds itself, and knows it is divine;

8.What is the best pony site you know? (Hint Hint, remember you're doing this thing for Obsession Is Magic, but I do encourage you to be truthful.)

I don't really spend too much time on any pony site. Mostly on For Glorious Equestria (mylittlebrony.blogspot.com), which is our local, Polish brony community, on tumblr and on deviantART. But Obsession Is Magic is quickly becoming my favorite. :D

9.Just a little about yourself. This is open ended, so you tell us anything you want to tell.

Oh great, I love those.
/sarcasm

Let's think for a moment... I'm some guy in his late twenties, who spends most of his free time drawing cute little ponies from a cartoon series that was supposed to be watched by girls age 5-12, watching cartoons, playing video games and working full-time... sleep is for the weak. I listen to all sorts of music, as long as the melody is nice and the mood is right. I'm a science geek with a master's degree in physics and engineering, I love dark fantasy and s/f and I think Stargate is superior to both Star Wars and Star Trek. :P I collect swords and daggers from every place I visit.

Welcome to the Hall of Pony, Adalbertus! We're very happy to have you here on OIM, and we can't wait to see more of your amazing work!

7 comments:

  1. Hey, awesome interview, and great artwork! I might run into you in a Livestream one of these days.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The artist's you listed are all people I follow and enjoy. (Looks at Dromaeosaur) Hint, hint, maybe you should check on the ones we haven't already featured.

    I remember when you came to us you were a bit on the self doubting side. Your art is amazing, way better than anything I've churned out. Don't doubt yourself, you should be proud of what you've made.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, you definably should go after the other artists :D although you might have a problem with Slugbox, he's not really into ponies all that much anymore.

      As for my self doubt... I made few moderately good arts that got few thousands views, I'm nowhere near the next guy in your Hall of Pony, :P to be honest I don't think I'm ever going to be in terms of popularity. The only way for someone like me to get more popular is to get featured by someone really big and I'm not expecting that to happen any time soon :P

      I am however very grateful for those people who appreciate my art, it makes me want to draw more :D

      Delete
    2. As an artist, comparing yourself to someone with more experience than you is one of the worst things you can do. Don't draw because you want to be popular: draw because you love what you do. If you put your passion for art in your work, then others will see that and love your art, too.

      Delete
    3. oh, I'm not comparing myself to them and I don't really care about page views, favs on deviantart and stuff like that. I do however like to get comments and especially constructive critique because that allows me to get better with what I do. Unfortunately that is really hard to do when you are unknown. I draw because I like to draw, that's all. But I also want to get better and if nobody tells me what should I do to get better, it's really hard to grow. And I know there is a lot to fix in my art.
      All I care for I to have few people who from time to time comment and tell me what they like and what they don't like about my works, but first those people have to know I exist.

      Delete