May 12, 2012

StarlightSpark Hall of Pony

This week's Hall of Pony interviewee is StarlightSpark, the brilliant artist who, among other things, created Starswirl the Unbearded. You can check out the Starswirl tumblr here. Now, let's get to that interview!

1.When/how did you discover MLP:FIM?
-I discovered MLP:FIM fairly early on while watching another animated show of the same genre on Youtube and instantly liked it.
I did think, at that time, that it would have a continuing storyline since the first two episodes had one, so it was a little disappointing when I found out they didn’t.
It isn't a major problem though, since most episodes stand well by themselves.

2.Who is your favorite main cast character and why?
-I guess I need to make a distinction between character wise and design wise here.
First, I love purple. It's just the greatest colorful color of all the colors in this colorful world of colors.
So, design wise, it's a decision between Twilight Sparkle and Rarity, but I have to go with Twilight here.
I personally think her design matches her personality very well. When I first saw her, I instantly knew what kind of pony she was. Same goes for Fluttershy, but she’s just not purple.
The combination of pink, purple, and dark blue works very nice indeed.
If I had to pick by personality, I would have to pick Twilight Sparkle again (so why did I make this distinction in the first place?)
It's her character flaws that make her so very likeable; plus, I can kinda identify with those flaws.
More readable sized version here.

3.Who is your favorite background character( this is anypony other than the main 6. ie not Twilight, Fluttershy...)?
-Berry Punch.
Cause, yeah, she’s purple, but it's not just that.
I seem to have a weakness for drunken ponies; plus, the relationship with her daughter allows for
so many possible spin off stories.

4.Who would you follow Celestia or Luna?
-Hmmm ... hard to tell.
Celestia seems quite nice, but on the other hoof, I am awake at night most of the time.
I guess I would follow Luna then; she probably needs some followers to make her feel better after returning from the moon.
Poor thing.

5.What would you tell someone who hasn't watched the show?
-Like with most things, I would not say anything.
I would arrange for them to ask me about it.
And, after that, I would introduce them to the episodes.
The rest should finish itself.

6.What are your influences?
-My art style is heavily influenced by shojo manga, which I used to read a lot some time ago.
Yeah, I liked girly stuff before it was cool!
I enjoy good art of any kind though, but I don't think I can name a specific artist that influenced me.

7.If you had one quote (from anything) that has really had an impact on you/ just a saying you really liked, what would it be?
-Think before you act.
This sentence may appear banal, but it’s the single most important sentence I have ever been told.
In fact, I have been told it so much it may have become a little bit of a problem. Sometimes you need to just jump in and try.

8.What is the best pony site you know?(Hint Hint, remember your doing this thing for Obsession Is Magic, but I do encourage you to be truthful.)
-To be honest, I don’t frequently use any pony related site, with the exception of ponibooru maybe.
So I can't give an educated opinion here.
But that won’t stop me of course.
Of course Obsession is Magic should be in every real brony’s bookmark list, and I am not receiving compensation of any kind for saying this. I swear!

9.Just a little about yourself. This is open ended so you tell us anything you want to tell.
-At this point, I wanna tell you all how glad I am that ponies exist.
Just look at the number of great artists this community has brought forth. I think it’s remarkable how this show gets people interested in drawing and being creative.
Just see how almost every brony has created his own individual pony; sure some are a little more thought through than others, but hey, everyone is trying to be creative, and that is a beautiful thing.
It may sound strange, but this fandom really restored a little of my fading hope for humanity.
I just hope ponies will go on for lots and lots of years!
Also, despite what people tell you, I am not really an artist,
I am just some person who scribbles random stuff without knowing what to do actually.
So don't believe them, it's all lies!
But I am working on it.

Welcome to the Hall of Pony, StarlightSpark. Thank you for the wonderful interview. We're happy to have you here on OIM, and we can't wait to see more of your great art!

2 comments:

  1. Wow, that's some beautiful artwork! And she advertised OIM! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, this interview made me shed manly tears of joy.

      Delete