Apr 28, 2012

The Lord of Dust Hall Of Pony



So after 35 Hall of Pony inductees, I realized that we were missing the most important, intriguing, handsome, witty, talented Brony of them all.... me! Yup, I've restrained myself all this time, but this week I said, “Oh why not, I run this gall dern site, I can do whatever the heck I please.” So for those who don't know, I'm The Lord of Dust aka Dusty aka Dustin Ray Coleman. My “talents” include and are not limited to: blogging, reviewing, making videos, singing, writing (Blazing Glory), drawing, whatever you want to file STABLE under, being an inspirational leader, undeniably sexy, hypocrisy, just an all around swell guy, making things up, and so on and so forth. I think you guys get the picture.

Be warned, I started out aiming to make this a short joke post, but I ended up getting really long winded, off topic, and just really weird, unadulterated Dusty. Also, I reveal deep, dark secrets about myself that may shock, offend, and sicken some viewers. You may never look at me the same way again.


1.When/how did you discover MLP:FIM?
In a vision from God, I was told of the magical teachings of friendship. I then saw myself at the base of a mountain. Looking up, I saw massive letters carved into the cliff face. “Obsession Is Magic.” I climbed to the highest peak, sacrificing my old ways and misconstrued ideals along the way, becoming akin to a foal, discovering the wonders of a life where good and righteousness reigned true. On the mountain top I shouted the word of pony across the lands, enlightening the darkened souls of other wretches ignorant of Celestia's light.

Okay, so maybe that didn't really happen, but it's more interesting than what actually happened. I was on the site Topless Robot, where they posted a ponified version of Batman the Dark Knight trailer. I had never seen an MLP:FIM pony before that point or even heard about the reboot. I watch the trailer and thought the animation looked nice. Some of the stuff that was going on in the footage looked sort of interesting, so I decided to try one or two episodes just to kill some time and satisfy my curiosity.

I wasn't expecting much and after the first episode I still didn't think much of it. I only bothered with episode 2 because I was damned if I was going to stop a story half way through. I didn't really care, but since I had watched the first half, I might as well see how it ends. After watching the second episode, I was pretty much ready to give it up, but my curiosity worked up again and I wanted to see what they would do with a regular episode. So I watched The Ticket Master, then Applebuck season, then I realized I was about to go on to the fifth episode of My Little Pony, the show that has always pretty much been the go-to “girls” show. It was then that I realized that this was in fact worth something and that I was indeed going to continue on the path that I had set upon.

Pony has impacted my life more than anything else I've ever encountered. It blindsided my old existence, and almost instantly became an all encompassing force in my life. Sometimes I wish I could go back and stop myself, warn myself away from the rabbit hole that I have fallen through, for it has been hard at times. But for all the bad and all the hard, the good more than outweighs it. I am Dustin Ray Coleman, I am a Brony and I am damn proud of it.


2.Who is your favorite main cast character and why?
Twilight Sparkle. A simple answer would be I prefer her color scheme over all the other ponies. A more complex answer would be that I like her character: nerdy, smart, reclusive (or at least she used to be), literate, she's also a motherly figure to Spike (or she could also be viewed as a literal slave driver, which is also sort of cool in its own right, I suppose), she doesn't half ass a job, instead when she does something she wants to do it right, and on and on we can go, but I think you get the gist of it. I guess you could say she embodies some of the facets of my personality, but that can be said for all of the main 6, for I find pieces of myself within each and every one of the ponies.

If I were to choose a close second, I would choose Rarity. She is neat and proper, which is something that I very much strive to do (I'm a very organized person). After that, I prefer Fluttershy (we are both painfully shy), Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie, then bringing up the rear, Applejack.


3.Who is your favorite background character( this is anypony other than the main 6. ie not Twilight, Fluttershy...)?
Maneia, definitely Maneia.

-You can't use her. She's an OC you made up, not an actual character.

Shh, you'll hurt her feelings! Fine, if you're going to be huffy about it, I'll choose...

-And you can't use characters from Blazing Glory.

Damn. Okay, I'll go with all of them.

-Do I need to whop you upside the head? Just give me a God forsaken straight answer!

Well excuse me for thinking outside the box. Honestly, I can't really say. I used to really like Lyra and her human thing, but now I can't really say who my favorite non main six pony is. I still like Lyra, but I also really favor Nightmare Moon, which by the way I almost...

-Made her Obsession Is Magic's mascot, yes you've told us that before.

Pfff.... I also really like Flim and Flam, Chrysalis, Sweetie Belle, and oddly Diamond Tiara of all ponies has started to really grow on me.

-Wait wait wait. What about Derpy? Everyone loves Derpy!

Yeah, about that. It's not that I dislike her, because I do, but it's just that I think she's probably the most overrated pony ever. I honestly don't find her as amazing as the rest of the fandom seems to think. Now I was and still am angry about the Derpy controversy from a while back, but I still think that she isn't all that and a bag of chips.


4.Who would you follow Celestia or Luna?
I'll opt for the neither button. I personally think the alicorns need to go. I could probably write a small book on the pros and cons of Equestrian government, but since I doubt anyone wants me to go into detail here, I'll just sum it up with the royal sisters have outlived there time. They are relics of the past that only serve to hold back Equestria. If they were to take themselves out of the equation, I do believe that the ponies would see an exponential increase in progress.

You may be thinking that they need the alicorns for protection, that without Celestia to protect them then they would be overrun by monsters and foreign countries. Celestia has proven time and again that she is useless. She lost to Nightmare Moon, she failed to defeat Discord, she was cast down by Chrysalis, monsters lurk throughout her kingdom (the Everfree forest has been a dangerous place for a very long time, why not cleanse it of the evils that threaten her blindly loyal subjects?). When a problem does arise, she forces other ponies to do the work she herself should undertake, and even then their go-to plan of action is just to get the Elements of Harmony over and over. Celestia's only tangible contribution is to raise the sun, but yet again, unicorns could easily take over this duty, thus rendering Celestia completely obsolete.

I could go on and on, but I told you I'd keep this one short. If I had to choose one or the other, I would go with Celestia. The best part of Luna was Nightmare Moon, in my humble opinion, but since she is gone and it is unlikely that she will be returning, I would have to pledge my loyalty to the mistress of the sun.


5.What would you tell someone who hasn't watched the show?

This one's easy since I've done it several times before. I'll recite to you the events that transpired when I converted Galvin over to the show.

We were having a normal conversation, talking about random odds and ends, when after talking about some of the recent television shows we had been watching at the time, I slowly started out with a “So, there's this new show that I've just discovered. It's really awesome and I think I've pretty much become obsessed with it. (Insert awkward pause here.) It's called My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic. (insert where you have to repeat yourself because they are a bit incredulous.) Yes, My Little Pony. Now I know what you're thinking, but it's a reboot of the old show and is completely different. Yes it's still about ponies going around learning about friendship, but I swear to you, that I have fallen in love with this show.”

Now, I suppose people will either shut you down here or hear you out, luckily every time I've done this people have continued to listen.

Now with Galvin, I had an extra advantage, for I am constantly giving him movies and shows to watch, and for the most part I haven't let him down yet, so he was willing to give it a chance. I told him that he needed to watch the first four episodes, then if he still didn't like it, then I'd let him off the hook. Now, I always specify that you need to watch at least The Ticket Master before you give up. I do believe that the show's worst enemy is the first two episodes. They suck, there is no other way to say it. Now, once you've become a full on Brony, you can go back and appreciate the episodes a hell of a lot more, but for a person who is already wary and not really wanting to like the show, these are the worst episodes you could possibly start on. The second episode is so riddled with plot holes, stupid moments, and just all around “Oh come on” moments that many people might believe that the rest of the show is like that and just give up on it after the season premiere. That's why I say go into the episodes after that, for then you'll get a real taste of what the show is about. Four episodes is only about the length of a movie, so I point this out and say, just humor me and pretend it's a bad movie. So far the majority of them have come back begging for more.

After Galvin was brought under my wing, we decided to convert another of our friends. Galvin invited him over to his house to spend the night, where we pretty much ambushed him. He thought we were going to play the Xbox or something similar, but what we really had planned was a marathon of the entire first season. It took us all night, but when the first light of dawn crested the horizon and “The Best Night Ever” came to a close, we had one more Brony converted to the herd.

(Eh, I don't really have anything else worth inserting picture/video wise, so text from here on out.)

6.What are your influences?
My art is super basic and I just use the show to base my sketches off of, so I don't really have an influence on that. Same for my writing. When I work on Blazing Glory I just let my mind spill on the page. I just stare at my word processor, look at where I last left off, and just type. One idea usually leads to another and then boom, I've got another chapter done. In all honesty I've got a bare bones idea of where I want the story to go and how I want it to end, but other than that I usually just make it up as I go along. I'll have one idea of what I thought was going to happen, but then inspiration will hit and then the whole story will take a different turn. Personally, I enjoy this because I'm finding out how the story unfolds at pretty much the same pace you do.

I guess the biggest influence on me would probably be the Otaku Ascended guys from around a year ago (I specify this because I haven't checked in on them in a while), but I saw their episode reviews and I really enjoyed them. I thought to myself, I can probably do that, so that's how our reviews were born. I pretty much based our reviews off of them to start with, but then we sort of grew into our own thing.

Other than that I'm pretty much my own man. I just do stuff and things happen. Although I do a fair amount of things, none of them turn out particularly good, but you can't say that I haven't at least tried.

7.If you had one quote (from anything) that has really had an impact on you/ just a saying you really liked, what would it be?
"Death destroys a man. The idea of death saves him. - E. M. Forster" Well, this pretty much sums up how I became a Christian. I was raised in a God fearing household so I've sort of always been one, but it took a particularly bad dream of what would happen if I wasn't saved to really galvanize me into actually taking my soul seriously.

It's also just a really cool sounding quote.

8.What is the best pony site you know?(Hint Hint, remember your doing this thing for Obsession Is Magic, but I do encourage you to be truthful.)
I've done Hall of Pony (number of times) times and I just now realized that I typoed "your" instead of "you're" in this question. I'm sure glad that nobody felt the need to point this out to me. >:(

Anyway, the best pony site is obviously Obsession Is Magic, and I'm not just saying that because I founded it. Obsession Is Magic has everything you could possibly want from a pony site. You get music, videos, news about the community, pictures, and everything pony related. Not only that, but you get the best movie, TV, and video game news, plus the best of the best of the internet. It's a Bronies one stop shop. Plus, don't even get me started on the bloggers, they're top notch if ever there were.

Yes, this question is just a shameless self promotion. Yes, I cry when people don't answer Obsession Is Magic.

9.Just a little about yourself. This is open eneded so you tell us anything you want to tell.
Whelp, I'm South Carolina born and bred, a Hellfire and brimstone Southern Baptist, and of the conservative persuasion. I'm a fairly big man, usually I'm the tallest person in the room. While my internet persona is pretty egotistical, I'm really not that big headed. I suppose I view myself as a southern gentleman (I can hold doors for folks like it's nobody's business), but then again I just really think that being nice to people and practicing common courtesy should be something everyone should strive for. I've got a toy poodle named Puffy who pretty much clings to me wherever I go when I'm at home, so she's sort of like my baby. Also, brownies are probably the best gosh darn food in the entire universe.

I guess that's good enough. I doubt too many people have even read this far and if you have you don't really care about me going on and on about myself, but to all the people who follow the blog, the guys over on Youtube, and the people who support me in my writing, thank you. Y'all are awesome and I want to thank you all for your encouragement and just making me feel awesome. After all, what fun is there in acting the fool when no one is around to watch?

3 comments:

  1. Fine, go ahead and stroke your ego. You're a great enough man that you can get away with it...

    And yeah, sorry I never mentioned that typo before. Then again, Chameleon is our resident grammar nazi, so that should have been his job. Lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was worth not having a new episode this weekend! Besides the occasional superiority complex, I think you make a great role model. :)

    I would actually love to hear one of your nice, long-winded rants about Equestrian government. Heck, if you put your thoughts and my thoughts together, I'm sure we could write an entire encyclopedia.

    I'm too shy to just go up to someone and ask them about MLP, but thankfully I've found enough bronies where I live that I didn't really have to. But that ambush tactic sounds like a good idea...

    And I was under the impression that Grammar Nazis were frowned upon. Trust me, you do NOT want me beating you over the head with a comma. You'll find that this entire post has been spell-checked and cleaned of grammatical errors. No need to thank me, just doing my job.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is, without a doubt, the greatest Hall of Pony entry to date. Mainly because you fixed that typo which I totally noticed beforehand.

    ReplyDelete