Apr 21, 2012

GSphere Hall of Pony


Another day, another amazing artist.  This week we induct GSphere.  So go ahead and hit that link.




1.When/how did you discover MLP:FIM?

In September of last year, I decided to check out the show after reading about Bill Clinton's MLP-based radio quiz, and after hearing the shoutout to Bronies on the Colbert Report. I had vaguely known about the show before this but that's what convinced me to find out what the big deal was. I watched a few episodes, and was indifferent to it at first, but then somewhere around Dragonshy I picked up a pencil for the first time in years and started to draw, and by the time I reached Suited for Success I knew I was hooked for good!


2.Who is your favorite main cast character and why?

It's hard to say! Each one is so important, and their qualities complement each other so well. If I must answer I'd have to say Applejack, who leads a simple, quiet life, hardworking and yet content, with nothing about herself to hide, always willing to unwind and have a good time with her friends. I admire those qualities and if I ever forget them in my life, sometimes I find myself thinking of AJ to remind me.


3.Who is your favorite background character( this is anypony other than the main 6. ie not Twilight, Fluttershy...)?

Lyra. That one, I can't explain! Maybe it's her minty color scheme, or her entirely fan-made aspirations to be human, but I quite like how the collective Brony consciousness ended up portraying and celebrating her. Which is odd, because I'm not nearly as much of a fan of Bon Bon!


4.Who would you follow Celestia or Luna?

I'd have to say Luna. Even though Celestia has more wisdom and experience, I'd get a little nervous following a monarch who's been charge as long as she has, with so many legendary monsters, dragons, and mysterious cutie-pox outbreaks seeming to threaten social stability!


5.What would you tell someone who hasn't watched the show?

Well, probably nothing. I know it's not for everyone. I keep pretty quiet about it, unless a friend were to show an interest in it. Then I'd recommend they watch a few episodes, link them to my very favorite pieces of fanart, and point them to some of the wonderful fan music out there. I'd do that because those are the things that got me involved in the community when I first started.


6.What are your influences?

I really didn't draw at all until I started to watch FiM, and so nearly all of my influences are other pony artists. Many of them are on this page in fact, which makes it an amazing honor to be listed here!

I wont name them individually, but I have a pony-artist role model for everything! Some do fantastic show-style pictures, some bring in a realistic rendering approach to the ponies that brings them into another world, others have a particularly beautiful style of eyes, and there are those that can give ponies the most detailed and beautiful clothing. Others have wonderfully intricate linework, and some use extremely vivid and wild colors that I'd never think of. Some introduce complex perspective and action into their ponies, and others stick with the show's poses, both styles having their own strengths. Some have an amazing knack for flourishes and design, and others for composition, others for backgrounds, and some have an amazing sense for keeping it simple, and doing more with less. And perhaps most importantly, there are those artists who seem to have no shortage of meaningful and moving ideas, who are able to come up with a scene or dialogue that makes the viewer really feel something.

Now, I could name a brony artist for every one of these things, and I'm sure if you're familiar with all the artwork out there, you could too! Nothing has taught me more or made me feel more positive than just looking at the mass of wonderful artwork that pony fans have been generating.


7.If you had one quote (from anything) that has really had an impact on you/ just a saying you really liked, what would it be?

Can't really think of anything! I was never too big on quotes. I'll skip this question


8.What is the best pony site you know?(Hint Hint, remember your doing this thing for Obsession Is Magic, but I do encourage you to be truthful.)

My very first steps in drawing I took stumbling around Ponychan, and I met a lot of great friends there! They supported my artwork, and still do, and spending time there sharing and learning was such a wonderful thing to have in my life. Ponibooru is wonderful to get strong community feedback from pictures, and I usually check Equestria Daily for their art posts and news.

I must say though, I hadn't known about Obsession is Magic until now, but your recent post had a transcript of a Brony article from my local state paper, which I didn't even know about. No one else had this! It's not been posted anywhere else online that I could find. So now this is a site I'm going to be checking!


9.Just a little about yourself. This is open ended so you tell us anything you want to tell.

I think that the Brony community is one of the most amazing things the internet has ever produced. Its like a quiet, global renaissance of art, literature and music, inspiring people to be creative who otherwise might not be, bringing distant people together to explore and discover their hidden talents, which everyone has whether they know it or not. This is something that may not have happened for a generation, and may not have even been possible a decade ago. It's just beautiful to me, and I couldn't be happier to be a part of it!


And there you have it.  GSphere, we here at Obsession is Magic support you and look forward to more of your amazing art.

2 comments:

  1. This wonderful artist says he's going to be checking up on us? *sheds another manly tear*
    If you're reading this, GSphere, thank you so much.
    On another note... Lyra and Code Geass are both awesome. XD

    ReplyDelete
  2. He mentioned my article! That makes me feel all special inside! ^^

    ReplyDelete