Mar 10, 2012

Huussii Hall of Pony

Get your reading glasses ready, cause it's that time of the week again.  Today we induct Huussii into the Hall of Pony.





1.When/how did you discover MLP:FIM?
-Well, it has basically been over a year since I saw the first pictures in rather large Finnish humor pic dedicated site called Naurunappula. I let the whole thing pass by first when I though they were nothing more but some random pictures. Later on around march-april I came to know about the actual fandom after I began to see parts of it in other sites and saw that someone had created a group-like gallery for pony pics within the site of Naurunappula.

I wondered what was it all about and soon found myself wandering in youtube, watching actual PMVs, remixes and other music stuff. I basically spent hours just jumping across related videos on youtube and began to understand what was it all about.

I have a rather playful personality and I'm easily pulled into fun yet strange things like these. I was all like "Oh god I must become part of this shit. This is awesome!" and began watching episodes.


2.Who is your favorite main cast character and why?
-I've had a really difficult time thinking which character I'd actually like the most. They are all best in different ways.

Yet for me, I somewhat consider Applejack my favourite. There's just something in her, her character design is good and I really like her personality. I wonder what drives me to like her as a character that much.
But one thing I've thought is that I find her somewhat close to me in certain way. She bears great similarity to my countryside-born mother who lived in a ranch with her extended family and bears an accent similar to southern American accent in our language.  Yep, it's a psychological thing..


3.Who is your favorite background character( this is anypony other than the main 6.  ie not Twilight, Fluttershy...)?
-Lyra, just because of all the hilarious fanmade stuff derived from her um.. Rather strange appearances.
Ooor maybe I find her somewhat close to me in a certain way too, that goddamn pony sits just the way I do.


4.Who would you follow Celestia or Luna?
-Luna, I prefer chilly night over the bright day. Fanmade stuff tend to twist my thoughts about Celestia from time to time, yet I still like Luna more and would like to see her appear more in the actual show.


5.What would you tell someone who hasn't watched the show?
-I could write a whole journal about that. But keeping it short I'd go with something like this:
If we throw the fandom aside for a second. The show itself has a pretty distinctive style for a cartoon, as the whole thing is drawn with vectors on a flash base, the whole thing feels like you're watching some random flashes in internet, like in Newgrounds. Animating is really smooth eyecandy. Character design is really good and colorful, they just don't feel like just another cartoon characters. Apart from few episodes, the show isn't too childish and you can watch it in sort of a similar way you watch Simpsons or Family Guy, for example. With reduced intentional humor, of course.

But yeah, then comes the fandom which makes the whole cake complete. There of course are few assholes, so to say, who tend to paint this fandom as some twisted, sick perversion (generally Rule 34, ponies with socks, etc), I personally just can't stand that stuff.

But the fanmade stuff in general is enormously awesome and I just can't stress it enough. All the music, videos, flashes, art.. It's just ridiculous how far a fandom like this has come. I usually find myself coming home and straightaway turning on the Everypony Radio and listen to all the brilliant music.
Short and short.. Yeah, I can't really put it all shorter than this.


6.What are your influences?
-I have one major answer: Pony artist called Moe.

I had been drawing ponies on paper quite a while after discovering the fandom. Yet one day around May I found some pictures painted by Moe and.. They just stopped me thinking for a second. The way he used colors and painted environments was just so beautiful. I still don't know why exactly Moe's works struck me, but I soon dug up my Photoshop, returning to dabble with digital art after over a year of break.
So yup, I'm heavily influenced by Moe and those digital painters whose tutorials helped me get along, including Noah Bradley and Idrawgirls on Youtube.  Not to mention all the awesome art you can see in this fandom!


7.If you had one quote (from anything) that has really had an impact on you/ just a saying you really liked, what would it be?
-"At the end of the day, if you're not enjoying what you're doing, you're probably not going to do a very good job at it. And with art especially you really need to love what you're doing."
This quote from a Youtube tutorial video of environment artist Noah Bradley has influenced me a bit. I had a certain enlightenment when I heard that, and I often still think about it.


8.What is the best pony site you know?(Hint Hint, remember your doing this thing for Obsession Is Magic, but I do encourage you to be truthful.)
-I have to say Equestria Daily has become just so brilliant site to sum up happenings inside the fandom. They're so active with their blog entries and have to face enormous amounts of mail daily. They've become the center of the fandom where you can keep yourself track of major things.


9.Just a little about yourself.  This is open eneded so you tell us anything you want to tell.
-I don't know what to put here anymore. But I just have to say the year with pony fandom has taught me that with real dedication, you can achieve things you didn't thought you could in such a small amount of time. I wanted to advance with digital art and I put hours and hours of time watching tutorials, learning about art and doing experimental drawing. It took me just half-a-year to lift myself into level I thought I couldn't reach in years! Year ago I had no idea I could be painting digitally anymore, few months ago I never had an idea I could some day make money with drawing these ponies.  Not to mention how much of joy this whole fandom has given to me to my internet/TV -side of freetime. That's completely another story, but all of you made it happen.

And there you have it. Huussii we here at Obsession Is Magic support you and your amazing art.

No comments:

Post a Comment