Feb 18, 2012

Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance Review

To love or not to love?

Johnny Blaze (Nicholas Cage) is the ghost rider. At night when evil is about, the rider comes out and punishes the wicked. The problem is nobody’s perfect and the rider is just as happy consuming your soul if you’re a murderer or if you just make an illegal download. Johnny, unable to control his inner demon flees to Eastern Europe into a self imposed exile. However when a priest (Moreau played by Idris Elba) comes to him saying that the devil plans to take possession of a child and that if he will protect this boy he will be free of his curse, Blaze once again brings the rider out.
This is probably the most difficult review I’ve ever written. I was split 50/50 on this movie. On one hand there is the side of me that loves great story, meaningful character, interesting and provocative plotline, which says that this movie wasn’t that good. On the other hand, there is the side of me that says, “Ahhhh! EXPLOSIONS!!!” which thought this movie was great. You’ll either love this movie or hate it.
One of the biggest things about this movie was how they shot it. The directors (who were also responsible for the movie Crank) actually tied themselves to the motorcycle and would roll down the road via pair of roller skates. The first 4 minutes of the film is a hit on a church where the child up for possession is at. At the end this scene Moreau ends up flying off a cliff with a camera following him. These shots are really good and I particularly enjoyed them.
As far as action goes it’s pretty good. Watching the rider kill 50 guys by turning them into ash by spinning in a circle is awesome. However there is some confusion with shaky cam and how the rider acts. When he first shows up he makes a huge explosive entrance gets off his bike and then stands there. He literarily just stands there while his head goes back and forth like “la la la” whiles the bad guys just stare at him. He doesn’t move until someone tries to kill him. And then he goes up to a guy to penance stare him and just stares at him. FOR FIVE MINUTES! In the last movie I got a swirling fiery flashback of all the bad things he had done. This one was just the rider going “booga booga booga. Am I scaring you yet?” At the end he gets blown up by two grenade launchers and the very next time the rider takes a javelin (as in the huge missiles from Call of Duty and not the throwing stick) to the face and acts like nothing happened. The entire last sequence takes place in the daytime and at the beginning of this movie, and this review, it is stated that “at night” the rider comes out. These problems are small though if you’re here for an action movie as seeing the rider turn a crane into a giant flaming circular saw is pretty awesome.
Lastly I want to talk about how blaze and the rider acts. At first it’s all “the rider is evil and dangerous and I’m being super serious right now.” Then after it comes out one time, it goes from some dangerous evil force to a crazed psychotic maniac. The demon laughs and chortles like a child from an exorcist movie, and one scene where the rider is trying to break out while Blaze “interviews” a bad man, Blaze does the same thing, laughing hysterically as he talks about burning the guy’s soul all the while his eyes keeping turning into open holes of the rider’s skull. During his second transformation he rides down the road screaming and laughing into the camera while his face changes from flesh to blackened bone.
Don’t get me wrong this movie wasn’t bad it’s just that I feel the directors went with the route of “screw emotion screw twist in the plotline we are just going to make a movie for all the crazed adrenaline junkies out there. And that’s exactly what they did. There is only one part at the end of the movie that had some emotion to it (or emotion you were supposed to feel) but it’s short and doesn’t involve the girl, but they did kinda pull it out of their ass.
If you want a great story and cool character you can you go see The Dark Knight, if however you just want to see a crazy action movie with no love story bogging down your explosions I think you’ll like this movie.
7/10
By the way there's nothing after the credits of this movie so no need to look retarded and stay behind after everyone leaves like me and Dusty did. 

5 comments:

  1. Wow, so I'm not the only one who stays after the credits in every movie I go to? Thanks for saving me the money, Galvin. I was on the fence about this movie, too, but now it sounds like not such a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to help and I sit to see if anything is after the credits of every movie I see.

      Delete
  2. Dang, I had high hopes for this movie. I guess I'll wait and rent it. And yeah, I usually stay after the credits too, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't seen the movie yet but after reading the rerview above and on many other sites i fell that it will be a good 3d adventure I'm gonna watch it tonight , hope that i dont come out of the hall criticizing myself for watching it .

    ReplyDelete