Dec 5, 2011

Theartrix Hall of Pony



Could it be?  Yes it could!  It's Hall of Pony time.  Today we have theartrix, so go ahead and hit that break to get started.



1.When/how did you discover MLP:FIM?
-As an fan of animation and comics, I like to lurk 4chan's /co/, which helped me discover shows like Panty and Stocking and Sym-bionic Titan. Shows I would otherwise not had discovered, seeing as I'm in the Netherlands, and it usually takes a while for animated shows to hit our shores, if it ever does. Now, I was already familiar with G1 ponies, to which I am quite indifferent, so I was quite surprised to see all the pony threads popping up.

I think I managed to ignore the pony threads until one day I decided to give the show a try. I still don't know what exactly prompted me, and I can't say I was hooked the instant I laid eyes on the brightly colored spectacle. Started with episode one, and then watched some random episodes. I think it was "Look before you sleep" that hooked me and I watched all the episodes I could find.


2. Who is your favorite main cast character and why?
-To be honest, it's a close tie between Twilight Sparkle and Rarity. Now, I do like all the main characters in one way or another, so I suppose this is more about how much I relate to the characters. I think I must say that Rarity is my favorite, especially after "Art of the Dress" which was basically "clients from hell, the episode". As a freelance illustrator, I basically could imagine myself in Rarity's... well, hooves, when she was faced with the unrealistic and poorly founded demands from her "clients". She seemed like a "Libby" character at first, but I was really pleased that they portray her as an artist, an entrepreneur and someone who wants to make a name for herself.

(break in interviw - YES!  He said main characters, not mane!  I'm not alone!)

That doesn't leave out any love (in the lightest sense of the word, of course) for adorkable Twilight. I can't help but like her hunger for knowledge and all-round geekyness.


3.Who is your favorite background character( this is anypony other than the main 6. ie not Twilight, Fluttershy...)?
-Octavia immediately comes to mind, although I think Trixie was a pretty interesting secondary character as well. But there is a certain elegance to Octavia that I like, even though she only appeared briefly in the season 1 finale.


4.Who would you follow Celestia or Luna?
-If I were a pony (which I assume you're getting at) I would probably support Luna, even if it was just to challenge the status quo.


5.What would you tell someone who hasn't watched the show?
-While I try to avoid the subject with non-animation people, the first thing I mention when I speak to the non-initiated is "Forget everything you know about My Little Pony". I will also mention that it's a really good cartoon like those from the good ol' days, it just happens to involve brightly colored miniature horses.


6.What are your influences?
-My media intake is a steady dose of cartoons, comics and anime, but that almost goes without saying. The Internet too is an inexhaustible source of inspiration as well. During my formative years as an artist, I really liked John Vasquez's work, which would be Invader Zim, but also his comics like JTHM. There was also a time when of all things, Naruto got me to work on long-format comics, which got me to try new techniques and a new approach to my art. While I did lead me into my personal art-ghetto era, I did get out of it stronger than before.  The French movie "Les Lascars" sort of set me off on a "glorify pessimism" approach that hasn't quite ended yet.


7.If you had one quote (from anything) that has really had an impact on you/ just a saying you really liked, what would it be?
-"The truth is that which, once you stop believing in it, doesn't go away". Can't remember who said it, but I still think it's a pretty powerful quote.


8.What is the best pony site you know?(Hint Hint, remember your doing this thing for Obsession Is Magic, but I do encourage you to be truthful.)
-While it's far from perfect, Equestria Daily is a very good all-round site for all things My Little Pony. However, there is another site that I'd like to mention, and that's the Ponygoons at mlponies.com. They're basically the refugees from Something Awful, which started to ban pony threads, and it has grown to be a community that supports high-quality pony discussion. It's home to a some of the most talented people I know in this fandom.


9.Just a little about yourself. This is open eneded so you tell us anything you want to tell.
-As I mentioned earlier in this interview, I'm a freelance illustrator. I'm also developing a comic about a girl living in the dystopian city of Rothingham, a seemingly boundless place that seems to have a mind of its own and where every problem we face in modern society is multiplied by 10 for comedic effect. I took the concept for a test ride with the comic The 3 Not So Princesses, which basically puts the Mario princesses in this universe, much like some sort of sadistic experiment. Rest assured that I'm not planning the same fate for our equine friends.

I'm currently working on an animation that involves the humanizations of the main cast. It's still in the writing and boarding phase, so don't expect anything anytime soon, but the way I picture it, it's going to be very interesting, considering how much people like Polka is Magic.

And that is the metaphorical that.  Theartrix we at Obsession Is Magic support you and hope you keep on making your wonderful art.


It's so hypnotizing.




 


No comments:

Post a Comment