Nov 21, 2011

CrappyUnicorn Hall of Pony


What time is it?  Hall of Pony time!

Today is CrappyUnicorn, who I think is one of the best artists out there.  His art style is just incredible.  If your not familiar with his work, prepare to be blown away.  I'm not kidding when I say I think he's one of the best.


1.When/how did you discover MLP:FIM?
-I was already a fan of the original My Little Pony franchise, mostly for the cute/nostalgia factors. I watched "Friendship is Magic" when it premiered, and while I was aware of the creators behind it, I was surprised by the quality of the newest addition to the pony franchise. Actual writing? Quality art? Believable characters? No way, man...

I became aware of the new "brony" internet subculture when I did some link-hopping after reading the amusing article about FiM published on msmagazine.com.


2.Who is your favorite main cast character and why?
-It's a tie between Twilight Sparkle, and Fluttershy.

Twilight Sparkle because she's rational, intelligent, and sincere. She's also socially awkward, a bit of an introvert, and can get excessively anxious when she over-thinks things.
Fluttershy because she's sensitive, kind, and empathetic... but also a bit of a coward (but not when it counts), and she lacks confidence.

I identify with both, because I share many of their positive and negative attributes... I also think they compliment each other well by balancing each other's negative attributes. Well, except for the whole introvert/shy thing... but that is basically me.


3.Who is your favorite background character( this is anyone other than the main 6. ie not Twilight, Fluttershy...)?
-DisQord!

I'm a Next Generation fan.


4.Who would you follow Celestia or Luna?
-It would depend, but in short: Neither.

I'm an independent.
Choosing sides to follow, of a monarchy that was intended to be unified and rule with fairness and balance, is destined to fail (meaning there would be no winners).


5.What would you tell someone who hasn't watched the show?
-"Seriously, it's not as bad as you think it is."

Because it pretty much never is, so it's the most honest thing to say.


6.What are your influences?
-A lot. But the most prominent ones right now?

My mom. She's a professional artist (painter), and so her struggles and accomplishments inspire me.
Then: Bill Watterson. He's a genius with ink who philosophizes with line and I admire his ability to communicate thought and feeling in his work.  Roger Dean is another favorite of mine... I just love his landscapes and use of colors.  Renoir.  George Carlin. More of a "thought" artist than a visual artist... I admire his talent for blunt and concise observations about the world.  There's lot's more, including a bunch of local artists in my area... but I can't type them all.


7.If you had one quote (from anything) that has really had an impact on you/ just a saying you really liked, what would it be?
-"Dwelling upon the self too much produces a terrible fatigue. A man in that position is deaf and blind to everything else. The fatigue itself makes him cease to see the marvels all around him."


8.What is the best pony site you know?(Hint Hint, remember your doing this thing for Obsession Is Magic, but I do encourage you to be truthful.)
-Well, I don't frequent many pony sites these days, other than EquestriaDaily for pony news.
So I'll go with DeviantArt, since that's my regular pony homebase.

-Break in interview - I usually go with the whole "if you read between the lines, what he meant to say was OIM is best", but today I can't come up with any comments.  The art is just so amazing that it has literally numbed my brain.


9.Just a little about yourself. This is open eneded so you tell us anything you want to tell. This is going to be about you, so fell free to add anything you'd like to tell us. What would you like people to know about you.
-I draw ponies because I enjoy the idea of "the simple" as a vessel for representing "the complex".

I'm an art student. I have a cat. I love science. I enjoy reading. I'm shy. I'm a bit of an oddball.
I'm learning to love learning, and stumbling through the "growing up" parts of life; you know how it is.

I picked the name "CrappyUnicorn" because the idea of a "crappy unicorn" makes me laugh. I just imagine this scruffy old horse with a horn tied to its head, standing in the middle of a field with a bemused expression on his face.

As an introvert, I'm not that great about talking about myself...


And there you have it.  CrappyUnicorn, one of the best of the best.  There are plenty more pictures, lots of which I couldn't post on this site, so I highly recommend doing some searching of your own.  CrappyUnicorn we here at Obsession Is Magic support you and we can't wait for more of your awesome art.





1 comment:

  1. I stumbled onto this page by accident, honestly, but now I'm very glad that I did. From what I see here your nothing short of excellence. Congratulations and thank you for the art!

    ReplyDelete