Sep 12, 2011

FeralBloodDragon Hall of Pony

I'd love to see an episode where the ponies learned about the magic/dangers of firearms.....but I highly doubt that's ever going to happen.

It's time for this weeks Hall of Pony.  Today we induct FeralBloodDragon.
Interview after the break.




1.When/how did you discover MLP:FIM?

I first started watching MLP: FiM on May the 23rd. I had heard about the show on various sites, like Icanhazcheezburger, DeviantART and a couple of other places. I suppose like a lot of bronies, I scoffed at the show at first, only watching it to 'see what the fuss was all about'. Loaded up the first episode on Youtube, prepared to be humiliated, then when Fluttershy makes her first appearance I'm scooping up my heart off the floor and forcing it back into my chest. She melted me, and I was in awe of the show from that moment.

God, I see Fear references everywhere, but I've never played the game.  I really want to see what all the fuss is about.


2.Who is your favorite main cast character and why?

Applejack for me. I was brought up in the countryside myself, and I feel I can relate to Applejack's warm, country attitude. It's pleasant. I also love her accent. It really sets her apart from the other characters, It reminds me of some of the accents I hear here... I just generally think Applejack is a really pleasant, well designed character.



3.Who is your favorite background character( this is anyone other than the main 6. ie not Twilight, Fluttershy...)?

Trixie. Or more specifically, The Great and Powerful Trixie. I thought she was an annoying braggart at first, but after thinking about her presentation in the episode she appears in, I though she get's a bit of a low deal. Her boastful attitude is part of what she is: a show-pony. Here's to hoping she returns in Season 2.

If Trixie showed up to get her revenge on Twilight like this, well that'd be alright.

4.Who would you follow Celestia or Luna?

Tough question. Celestia I never really cared too much for (banish me) and Luna I don't really know. She didn't leave as much of an impression on me as she did for other bronies.

There's no explicit mention of how Celestia rules Equestria. Perhaps she does run a tyrannical dictatorship. I'd imagine it's quite justifiable to say she got her position from a Coup. She did initially rule with her sister and took her responsibility after banishing her.

Actually, Luna. Definately Luna now. Reason above.

Don't mess with the Princess.

5.What would you tell someone who hasn't watched the show?

'Watch it. Seriously'

Doesn't work though. Others on my course think I'm quite odd for liking FiM. One friend swore to eradicate all trace of ponies (to which I wish him the best of luck.) It will be most interesting to see how they react when I start watching season 2 in the university computer rooms...

The first time I posted this picture I made a joke about Rainbow being a weather pony and she's making it rain...bullets........yep still not funny.

6.What are your influences?

Artistically, I take influences from a lot of different sources. In terms of how my work looks, Stephanie Kao (www.zetallis.com) has had a major influence on my work, particularly my anthropomorphic work (though some things have trickled down into my pony work too.) Jessica Peffer (www.neondragonart.com) also had a big influence, but the majority of that was in earlier work. Being a Games Art and Design Student has exposed me to a lot of people, particularly others on the course, whose methods of working have had their way with my method of working. It's all a good thing. It's like other people have an inspiring presence on me. Two people who have had the biggest influence are sarmati and gundall They've both helped me and I work with both of them. I'm very glad I know them.

How is she holding that glass?  The whole hooves working as good as hands thing blows my mind.  I'd love for season 2 to talk about that.

7.If you had one quote (from anything) that has really had an impact on you/ just a saying you really liked, what would it be?

'You think nothing is impossible? Go slam a revolving door.'

I don't even know where I heard that. It was a very long time ago. It stuck with me as it helps me stay grounded. Keeps things in perspective and reminds me to evaluate things before I devote myself to pursuing them. Having dreams is wonderful, just know they are attainable before deciding whether or not to follow them.

Also, one for artists:

'Don't practice until you get it right. Practice until you can't get it wrong.'


8.What is the best pony site you know?(Hint Hint, remember your doing this thing for Obsession Is Magic, but I do encourage you to be truthful.)

To be honest, I don't know a lot of pony sites. I recently started using the Canterlot forums, initially to enter a contest, but I don't really post a lot there. Obsession is Magic seems like a good site so I'll be following it. For a spell, I followed Equestria Daily, but it gets updated so much I tend to miss things. It also features a lot of fanfic, and that's not something I have the most patience to read right now. I ought to though, and will in the future.

Mainly, I follow certain deviantART groups focusing on FiM and subforums in larger forums for my pony news.

<Break in interview>  Yay, another sort of endorsement!  Also seeing as how you're looking for a fanfic...I just happen to be working on one.  You should really check it out.....what, I'm getting way off track.  This is about FeralBloodDragon and not me.  Fine whatever.  Back to the questions.</break in interview>

After looking through all the ponies as planes pics, I began to image an awesome fanfic about Twilight botching a spell and turning everypony into vehicles.  Someone should really get on that.

9.Just a little about yourself. This is open eneded so you tell us anything you want to tell.

Well, I'm an anthropomorphic artist. I've been so for about six years now. That doesn't mean I'm good though. About four years of that was entirely self taught, drawing bad comics and bad art that almost makes me violently ill when I look at it. I think it was a miracle I got accepted onto a Games Art and Design University course in 2009 with the portfolio I had (which was awful. I don't know why they liked it.)

Still, I'm not going to complain. Getting into an art university has been one of the best things to happen to me. I've learnt an awful lot in the two years I've been at university, and my art has improved immeasurably.

Aside from weird pony fanart (Ponies in planes, helicopters, tanks. Ponies as game characters/film characters etc.) I do a lot of character, environment and asset (weapon, vehicle etc.) art. That's mainly due to university, but it's also what I want to do in the future. Game concept art really interests me.

I don't have a website (well, I do but it's not ready to go online yet) but I do have a showreel. ([link]) That's probably going to be replaced soon. Summer has been a busy time for painting, with a lot of pieces made, and vast improvements to my techniques made.



I'm not going to lie, this creeps me the heck out.


FeralBloodDragon we wish you the best of luck and hope you continue to making your art.  Maybe once you start doing video games you can secretly work in ponies.  

No comments:

Post a Comment